- Name of Staff: Prof. Yunus D. Mgaya PhD
- Profession: Aquatic Resources Specialist
- Date of Birth: 27th July 1957
- Nationality: Tanzanian
- Wildlife Conservation Society of Tanzania
- Network of Tropical Fisheries Scientists (Manila)
- Asian Fisheries Society (Manila)
- Network of Tropical Aquaculture Scientists
- Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association
Professor Mgaya has been involved in various consultancies, which are related to aquatic science, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, Environmental impact assessment, biodiversity assessment, etc. Among the various consultancies, which Prof. Mgaya was involved include the following:
- Conducted a Preliminary Environmental Impact Assessment Study of the Proposed Songo Songo Gas Pipeline. Consultancy work for Hardy BBT Ltd., Calgary, Canada (1991).
- Conducted an Environmental Impact Assessment Study of the Proposed Dar es Salaam Harbour Expansion Project. Consultancy work for Scott Consulting Engineers and Planners, U.K. (1991).
- Developed a mariculture training manual and conducted a three-week course on the subject in Tanga region. Consultancy work for Tanga Coastal Zone Conservation and Development Project / IUCN (1996).
- Conducted an Environmental impact assessment of the proposed integrated prawn farm project in the Rufiji Delta: Impact on the marine environment. Consultancy work for African Fishing Company, Dar es Salaam (1997).
- Conducted an Environmental Impact Assessment of the Songo Songo Gas to Electricity Project: Impact on the Marine Environment. Consultancy work for NORPLAN A/S, Norway (1997).
- Carried out baseline studies on fish and invertebrates for the Geita Gold Mining Project. Consultancy work for WEGS Consultants for Ashanti Goldfields Company (1998).
- Conducted a study on socio-economic root causes of biodiversity loss in Tanzania: the case of mangrove forests in the three major deltas of Rufiji, Ruvu and Wami river deltas. Consultancy work for WWF–US, Washington DC (1998).
- Conducted a preliminary investigation for an integrated, community-based approach to conservation and restoration on marine ecosystems along the Dar es Salaam coast. Consultancy work for African Development Foundation, Dar es Salaam (1999).
- Conducted a review of integrated coastal zone management activities in Tanzania. Consultancy work for Secretariat for Eastern African Coastal Area Management (SEACAM), Maputo, Mozambique (2000).
- Carried out an investigation of mariculture options in Mafia Island Marine Park. Consultancy work for WWF Tanzania Programme Office, Dar es Salaam (2001).
- Conducted a review on the root causes of biodiversity loss in Rufiji-Kilwa-Mafia and Mnazi Bay-Ruvuma estuary in Tanzania. Consultancy work for WWF East African Marine Ecoregion (EAME) Programme (2001).
- Carried out an analysis of smallholder opportunities in fisheries, coastal and related enterprises in the floodplain and delta areas of the Rufiji River, Tanzania. Consultancy work for Rufiji Environment Management Project / IUCN (2002).
- Conducted baseline studies on fish and invertebrates for the Tulawaka Gold Mining Project, Biharamulo, Tanzania. Consultancy work for WEGS Consultants (2002).
- Prepared an environmental impact statement of the proposed shrimp farming project in Mafia Island. Prepared for ALPHAKRUST LTD., Dar es Salaam (2003).
- Carried out an assessment of the vulnerability of mangrove and adjacent coral reefs to climate change in Rufiji Delta. Consultancy work for WWF, the Eastern African Marine Ecoregion Programme, Dar es Salaam (2004).
- Prepared Project Implementation Manual for the Marine and Coastal Environmental Management Project. Consultancy work for World Bank (2004).
- Carried out baseline studies on fish and aquatic invertebrates for the Mtwara Region gas-to-power project. Consultancy work for Acres International, Canada (2004).
- Carried out baseline studies on fish and aquatic invertebrates for the Buzwagi Gold Mining Project, Kahama District. Consultancy work for Norconsult Ltd / Pangea Minerals Ltd., (2005).
- Conducted a synthesis of Lake Victoria fisheries research and management information generated under the auspices of the Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project (1997-2005). Consultancy work for Lake Victoria Environment Management Project (2005).
- Involved in the preparation of the Implementation Completion Report for the Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project (T) for the period July 1997-December 2005 (2005).
- Participated as an aquatic resources specialist in carrying out of an Environmental Impact Assessment for the proposed Mtwara Energy Project Phase III activities: 3D seismic, well-drilling, pipeline for SCADA cable and way-leave. Consultancy work for Artumas Group Inc., Canada (2007).
- Participated as an aquatic resources specialist in carrying out of an Environmental Impact Assessment for the proposed Arusha – Musoma – Mwanza Optic Fibre Cable Project. Consultancy work for Tanzania Telecommunications Company Limited (2007).
- Participated as a fisheries expert in the appraisal of a new natural resources programme, 2008-2012 for the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism. Consultancy work for the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Dar es Salaam (2008).
A) Long courses
- B.Sc. (Zoology and Marine Biology, 1983-86) University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- M.Sc. (Fisheries Biology, 1987-1989) University of British Columbia, Canada
- Ph.D. (Aquaculture, 1991-1995) University College Galway, Ireland
B) Short courses
- Attended a short course on "Advanced Technologies for Aquaculture Development", University College Galway, Ireland, 7–9 November 1994.
- Attended the First National Orientation Training Course on Environmental Impact Assessment, University of Dar es Salaam, 23–31 March 1998.
- Attended a short course on “Planning and Management for Sustainable Coastal Aquaculture Development” at Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 12th June to 7th July 2000.
- Attended a short course on “Marine Shrimp and Finfish Seed Production” at Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 10th July to 4th August 2000.
- Completed a “Research Management Training” course conducted at the University of Dar es Salaam by The Society of Research Administration International, USA, 1st – 5th August 2005.
- Participated in Southern Africa Coastal Management (COASTMAN) Training of Trainers Workshop “How to Implement Community-Based Coastal Zone Management Successfully”, Walvis Bay, Namibia, 5–10th December 2005.
- Participated in “Advanced Leadership Training Workshop for Marine Environmental Managers in the Western Indian Ocean”, Durban, Republic of South Africa, 2– 6th October 2006.
- Participated in Southern Africa Coastal Management (COASTMAN) Training of Trainers Workshop “ICZM and the concept of marine/coastal protected areas – how to deal with conflicting claims regarding the use of coastal resources”, Cape Town, South Africa, 20–24th November 2006.